Gastronome

VOL2 2016

Gastronome is the official publication of the U.S. Chaîne des Rôtisseurs. The magazine provides coverage of local, regional, national and international Chaîne events as well as feature stories about members and member establishments.

Issue link: http://gastronome.epubxp.com/i/745503

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 22 of 155

Building a Good Foundation You Came Through for the Foundation! Smiles are seen and ample appreciation expressed when scholarship dollars are given to our culinary, sommelier, and hospitality students. These scholarships exist because of your Chaîne generosity. In our prior year, 82% of our members contributed to the Foundation through the annual dues payment for a sum of $98,750. In the year ending June 30, 2016, we increased our percentage of giving by 8%, to 90%! Foundation Friends' contributions for the year ending June 30, 2015 were $44,000; in addition, $98,750 was donated. For the year ending June 30, 2016, our Foundation Friends contributed $70,050, and our general membership's contributions were $106,975. Thank you and congratulations to all of you for your support! For the year ending June 30, 2016, our fund balance increased by $56,161 and stood at $481,005. In addi- tion to the $5,000 contributed to the food bank at our 2015 national meeting, we provided $152,250 in scholarship funds. Thirty organizations received funds for scholarships awarded in the name of the Chaîne. Thirteen bailliages took advantage of the $1,000 matching grant program to support their local culinary schools, up from ten matching grants the prior year. As my mentor and friend Shelly Margolis so elegantly stated, "There is not a greater gift than the gift of education. Give a man a fish and he eats for one day. Teach a man how to fish and he can eat for a lifetime and feed us also into the next generation of Chaîne members." It is important that every bailliage either participate in the annual auctions by soliciting gifts or alternatively by donating bailliage funds. If your bailliage is fortunate, some purveyors will donate products for your bail- liage's Chaîne events. Often they are willing to do so knowing that the money saved from running the event can be used to support scholarship donations for aspiring chefs, sommeliers, and hospitality professionals. Last but not least, we extend our appreciation to Irwin Weinberg, who is retiring as a Foundation trustee and who has been a strong supporter of the Foundation, including establishing an endowed fund. Congratulations also to his replacement, Helen Cappuccino, who will represent the Northeast Region on the Foundation board. On behalf of all of our Foundation trustees and the recipients of our scholarships, I extend our wholehearted thanks for all you do. John H. Burson Foundation Chair NOTE: For updated tax information, please refer to the Outreach section on our national website (www.chaineus.org). 2 0 1 6 v 2 :: G A S T R O N O M E :: 21 PHILANTHROPY

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Gastronome - VOL2 2016